Kodak Zi8 Review
Kodak Zi8 is the first pocket camcorder on the market to boast 1080p 30fps video capture and 5-megapixel still-image capture, thanks to its integration of a 1/2.5-inch 5-megapixel CMOS sensor.
In addition to the 1080p setting, you can also capture images in a number of resolutions and frame-rate counts: 720p at 60fps (best for sports and action), 720p at 30fps (best for Youtube or Facebook), and 848-by-480 standard-definition WVGA video (best for conserving memory card space).
The Kodak Playsport Zi8 ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping on Amazon! Click this link to take advantage of this huge discount!
Video and Photo Quality
In bright light, the Kodak Zi8′s footages are sharp and smooth, while the colors are vibrant and relatively accurate. It adjusts exposure fairly quickly when panning from brightly lit to darker scenes, and it compensates appropriately for backlit subjects.
The still photos are a step up from what a typical camera phone produces and overall pretty usable. With Kodak Zi8’s quick still-photo capture, you won’t miss much since the shutter fires immediately after pressing the button.
Image Stabilization and Face Detection
Kodak Zi8 also has a built-in electronic image stabilization feature. It is not as advanced as those available on more expensive camcorders, but it does help take the edge off the occasional bump or stumble.
Another nice feature is the face detection. Kodak Zi8 detects and optimises in-camera settings whenever a face is in the frame.
The zoom feature though of Kodak Zi8 is disappointing. At 4x digital zoom, video becomes jumpy and may even ruin an otherwise great clip. So it is best if you don’t use the zoom feature at all.
Here are some other great features of Kodak Zi8:
- Vivid 2.5-inch color LCD
- Flexible built-in USB arm which you can swing out to upload, share and charge – no cables to worry about
- Built-in software makes editing and uploading on Facebook and YouTube simple and easy
- Compatible with both PC and MAC
- Compatible with iTunes for syncing with iPhone, iPod Devices and Apple TV
- Expandable SD/SDHC Card slot that can hold up to 32 GB so you can record up to 10 hours of HD video
- External microphone jack lets you record in stereo
- Complementary HDMI cable so you can readily watch your videos on the big screen right out of the box
- Remote Control lets you record from a distance or play back on your TV
What’s in the Box:
- Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera
- KLIC-7004 Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery
- Adapter and cable for battery charging
- HDMI and AV cables
- Wrist strap
- User’s Guide
- ArcSoft MediaImpression Software for Kodak (on-camera)
A combination of superior HD video quality, features and a reasonable price make the Zi8 a clear standout from the competition. It’s not going to replace a real camcorder in all situations, nor is meant to—but you’ll be comfortable using it in more events or activities than any other pocket camcorder on the market today.
Here’s what some of the owners had to say about the Kodak Zi8:
If you need something cheap to get some great quality video, or need something super easy to use that is really portable….Take the plunge. Kodak has designed, marketed, and built a camera to compete with FLiP and has clearly produced a FAR better product. Its GREAT easy to use, its a point and shoot video camera. (R. Vernon)
I rate it five stars because, for the price, I was very impressed with what came with it (cables, etc), with the quality of the recordings and of the camera, with the ease of use, with the external mic option, with the removable battery, and with the overall experience. (J. Wood)